The Sweet Bean Sandwich of Japan – How To Make Dorayaki
Dorayaki, a Japanese pancake and sweet bean sandwich, is a popular treat throughout the country. The Japanese have been eating it for centuries and has a sentimental taste for Japanese people of all ages. Even in popular anime like Doraemon, dorayaki is a much loved dish. It's recipe is rather simple: 2 pancakes with sweet bean paste in the center. It can be enjoyed at any time of the day as a healthy snack.
Lets take a look at the recipe and how to make Japanese dorayaki. This snack might be strange and unfamiliar to people outside Japan, but anyone who has lived in Japan and tried it, knows how delicious it is. Dorayaki has a shape similar to a gong and is so soft, it melts in your mouth.
It's ingredients are easy to find. While regular batter can be used to make the 2 pancakes, these days, castella cake mix is a popular choice. In Japan, special grills are often used to make dorayaki but a simple stove pan can work just fine.
After reading this, perhaps you will want to make some dorayaki of your own?
What do you need to prepare? Dorayaki ingredients:
- 300 g of flour
- 400 ml of liquid milk
- 2 half spoon of liquid butter
- 3 eggs
- 50 g of sugar
- 50 ml of original honey
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
Next comes the filling. You can use any filling you want, these are the most popular:
Chocolate, custard pudding, cream cheese, or red bean paste (azuki) filling.
Step-by-step process for making dorayaki:
- First, mix all of your ingredients and the eggs in to a mixer cup or bowl.
- Next pour milk into the mixture, little-by-little while you are stirring the mixture. Stir well.
- Next mix in the liquid butter
- Let the mix sit for one hour or till the batter starts to bubble.
- Heat the pan to medium heat
- If ready, reduce heat to low. Then pour one big spoon amount of the mixture into the pan and wait for about 1 minute.
- When pancake looks really bubbly, flip
- Cover it with lid until the brownish color appears.
- Reduce the heat for the next cake. Do the same steps as before.
Finally, this is the last step to complete our task. How to serve it? After you get the hot pancake, cover the top with azuki bean paste (or your own choice of topping). Next stack it with the other pancake. After that, wrap the dorayaki with plastic wrap.
And now you have ready-to-serve dorayaki with your own style. Enjoy your dorayaki while it's still warm.